Today, Emily, a student from the Aveda Institute, shows us a creative version of the classic French Braid. This style dates back more than 6,000 years. It’s a basic style that is easy to recreate yourself.
Be sure to watch the video below for the full tutorial.
Here are a few steps to get you started:
- Use a small amount of Shampure Dry Shampoo in your hair and brush thoroughly with your Aveda paddle brush.
- Part your hair from ear to ear. To do this, comb all of your hair to one side, then with a comb, part your hair from ear to ear. You should have a front section and a back section, running from ear to ear. Comb the back section, and section off with duckbill clips.
- Going back to the front section of hair, take a strand and start braiding. After a few braids, add a bit of hair each step. The braid should look like it’s pulled tight to your head. Secure it with an elastic binder once you’re done braiding. Loosen the crown of the braid lightly for added volume and then pin it with bobby pins.
- Release the clips holding your back section and brush it out. Separate it into two equal sections and braid both. You can get creative by curling up one of the back braids into any shape you’d like. Make sure to use bobby pins to secure your braids.
- Set the look with Aveda Control Force Hairspray.
French braiding takes some practice, so don’t get discouraged. If you are looking for a fresh look, schedule an appointment with our stylists at Z Salon.