We at Z Salon & Spa are advocates for Z’s. Adequate sleep is essential for vital radiant skin. When we sleep, our body goes into repair mode. However, with busy schedules and life circumstances vying for our attention, putting in the hours of shut-eye can be difficult.
Here are six ways you can be kind to your body, especially your skin, and get the sleep you need.
1. Set a goal of at least seven hours of sleep. This may seem like a lot to some, but this amount of time will give your body and mind a chance to fully relax and transition into repair mode.
2. Begin shutdown a minimum of 30 minutes prior to sleep. Make sure you turn off the TV, computer and phone between 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime. Even consider pausing the good book you’re reading within this time frame. This gives your mind time to prepare for sleep.
3. Cut back on caffeine before bedtime. This stimulant can keep our body from relaxing. Learn how caffeine affects you and how many hours before bedtime you will need to refrain from caffeinated beverages. It will vary from person to person.
4. Exercise earlier. Make sure you stay away from the gym more than an hour before bedtime. Exercise puts the body into an energized state, which could keep you from falling asleep.
5. Meditate. Even five minutes of simple meditation will prepare your mind for relaxation and sleep.
6. Inhale a relaxing scent. Using aromatherapy scents, like lavender, 30 minutes before bedtime can aid in relaxation and help you quickly drift to sleep.
Try these simple techniques for better rest, along with drinking plenty of water [Check out our blog on hydration]. Not only will your body thank you, but your skin will as well! There really is something about beauty sleep!